Although Cranleigh Prep School formally opened in 1913, its origins date back to 1880, when The House was started on Horseshoe Lane, a preparatory department catering for 24 of the Senior School’s younger boys. In 1912 Cranleigh purchased 17 acres of land opposite the Senior School, on which the new prep would be built.
Cranleigh Prep School officially opened its doors on 19th September 1913, with around 20 boys. It remained The House until 1916, after which it was known as the Preparatory House until 1931 and then the Junior School until 1968, at which time it settled on Cranleigh Preparatory School.
The Prep survived both wars unscathed, with the current orchard a lasting legacy of war years. When the Anderson shelters were removed in 1947 an apple orchard was planted to cover the mess and bring the community back together. In 2013 many of the trees were replanted, a number by the same boys who had done so 66 years earlier.
By the mid 1960s pupil numbers had risen to 130
The year the school became co-educational
The chapel was built
In 1955 the first major building work took place and the chapel was built in 1962, replacing the former wooden hut. By the mid 1960s pupil numbers had risen to 130. There was steady progress under a succession of heads and in 2000 the School became co-educational, increasing pupil numbers significantly.
Links between the schools have been strengthened by the 7-18 policy, which allows the preparatory school to benefit from the senior school’s expertise in Music, Sport and IT.